Tuesday, March 4, 2014

L. Annette Binder Stories

Unfortunately, I am not able to attend the L. Annette Binder reading on Thursday, therefore I can only discuss what I have read on my own. I think that going to the reading would have changed the way I thought and visualized the stories, however this is what I have to work off of!

"Nephilim"was an extremely interesting story for me to read. I think that I comprehended this story, out of the three, the best because the writing style flowed very nicely. The sections where the story broke off into Freda's thoughts, from the actual story/current events were made very clear by separate paragraphs, for example on pages 10 and 11. I also thought that this story dealt a lot with the theme of isolation and helplessness, which we can all relate to as readers. On page 11, there was an awesome body quote that depicts Freda's helplessness and humiliation quite nicely:

"Somebody tied her feet tot he ground and her hands to the wooden wheel. Somebody else worked the wheel and pulled her upward, stretching all the muscles around her sockets. It was her companion, this feeling."

This quote also surfaces the very contemporary body issue of feeling imprisoned to one's own body. Although this story is clearly an exaggeration in the physical description of Freda, modern day issues are still at hand. Every reader can relate to not liking something about their body, and feeling like that is what they're stuck with for life. On pages 11 and 12, the reader gets a pretty good look at how ashamed Freda is about herself and how held-back she feels in/felt throughout her life. My question why Freda let it get that way; was there really a good reason as to why Freda couldn't have made the best out of her situation and tried to work with her situation, instead of sulking about it? This is something that I noticed in reading all three stories; the main characters are all pretty passive in some sort of way. Could this be a theme or a lesson that L. Annette Binder is trying to teach us?

In general, reading the stories by myself and without listening to an actual reading was pretty much like the experience I had with reading everything else we have read so far in class. The stories were a little easier to read, because they were shorter and all different form each other, however I probably could have had a clearer mental image in my head if I were listening to the stories instead of reading them on a laptop screen and taking notes as I went (stopping and pausing). I can't wait to hear what my classmates have to say about their own embodiment and experiences that came with the Thursday's reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment