Thursday, March 6, 2014

L. Annette Binder Stories

I've been thinking about a couple of points we discussed about the short stories we read. Specifically, with "Lay My Head"the question was brought up as to why the author chose not to discuss what physical disease Angela had and I think it also relates to a point of discussion in "Sea of Tranquility". We discussed why Binder chose to have the man only be able to see far away. I think the man was so focused, perhaps too focused, on the immediate things that he could see- like his computer monitor or the lady with her dog testing out a mattress. He focused on those little details, but he seemed to be neglecting his wife, Marci, and their growing baby. The man needed to have the sight of things directly in front of him taken away in order to see what he really should focus on- his family. He needed his view to be broadened, which is why I think he was only able to see far away.
I think this idea of detail can be brought back to Angela in "Lay My Head" perhaps L. Annette Binder chose not to write about the disease early on was because it didn't matter. She wanted to focus on what the body was going through and how it was affected, not so much giving a specific disease. Perhaps it takes something away if we generalize Angela's disease into "it's something with her liver" versus "see how her body is in pain". I don't think it is really needed to know the specific detail about her disease because focus on the body is more important.
I haven't thought about it this connection to detail is prevalent in "Nephilim" but perhaps it is. Maybe that could be a way that they are all connected- this idea of focusing on detail and when is it versus when is it not so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment