Friday, February 21, 2014

Eva Luna Ch 3 and 4

I'm really liking how this book focuses on one of the characters each chapter, but I think they're going to meet sometime soon. I noticed two real similarities between Chapters 3 and 4. In Chapter 3, when Consuelo was dying, she told Eva Luna "People die only when we forget them... If you can remember me, I will be with you always". (So incredibly sweet, sad, touching and just.. so many feelings). This way Eva can remember her mom by thinking of her and talking to her. Then, in Chapter 4, Rolf wrote his mom letters and there's a quote that says the letters "kept her (Rolf's mom) alive for him". While she isn't dead, he basically used them to feel some closeness to his mom. Likewise, Eva always stares at the painting of the sea in the house she is living in/working in. It sort of fuels her imagination and stories. Then in Rolf's chapter, at one point, he's on a boat traveling across the sea. I think these similarities are sort of showing how Rolf is embodying what Eva Luna thinks of, like thinking of talking to her mom and being on the sea. There might be more similarities like this but those are the two I caught on to.

No comments:

Post a Comment