Friday, February 21, 2014

Eva Luna Chapters 3 and 4

While reading chapters 3 and 4 of Eva Luna I noted a particular emphasis on story telling and how it shapes Eva's life. Having learned to tell fantastical tales from Consuelo, I get the general vibe that Eva chooses to carry on the tradition as a sort of homage to her mother. Eva tells tales throughout chapters 3 and 4, both to us as a reader, but to others, such as Huberto. I was particularly interested in the parallel between the body of the stories she tells others versus the body of the story she gives us.

On page 72, Eva claims "Although I was young, I knew about love intuitively, and wove it into my stories. I dreamed about love, it haunted me."

Although at first glance, the statement may not appear to be relevant to the body. However, the weaving in of love into the body of Eva's stories has appeared throughout the entirety of the text so far. The story she told to Huberto was a love story and the story of Rolf in chapter four involves a rather scandalous love triangle. The inclusion of love into the body of Eva's stories tells us a great deal about her as a character. She is an idealistic dreamer, drunk on the idea of love and fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment