Friday, February 28, 2014

Overall Impression of Eva Luna

I found the ending of the book to be very satisfying; a perfect way for Allende to leave her readers off. Something that I found surprising was that there was not much to write about in my notes for the last two chapters. Sometimes, the writing got a little too cheesy for me, but maybe that was just because of the poetic feel of the book. I do have to say that I expected Rolf Carle and Eva to meet much sooner in the story, however when they did meet, I felt that they didn't have to make up for "lost time." The moment they met, Eva questioned "why Rolf Carle seemed so familiar… but I was sure I had now known him- or anyone like him." (Allende 256) The two characters meeting at the end of the novel did not bother me because of their immediate connection to each other.

I would like to mention how much I appreciated such feministic issues being incorporated into the book. Allende truly did a flawless and effortless job with illustrating the struggles that women face today and have also faced in such chaotic, political times. Allende really did this with everything in this book; painted a clear picture for the readers to grasp onto. Along with helping the readers visualize everything that was happening, Allende also made use of the other four senses, which not many authors (at least the ones I have experienced) do. At times, the writing got to be a little intense for me to read, however Professor McGee brought up something very insightful and possibly quite true: perhaps the reason the writing style has the tendency to be difficult and uncomfortable to read sometimes is because movies and television numb us down to just visualization. Allende really forces the reader to use all of the senses! In general, this book was a great read. I would definitely recommend the book to others who want to become engulfed in another world and another culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment