Friday, February 21, 2014

Eva Luna: Chapters 3 and 4

In Chapter 3 of Eva Luna, there were 2 things that struck out at me. The first was the quote on pg. 43, said by Eva's mother when she's approaching death, "There is no death, daughter. People die only when we forget them...If you can remember me, I will be with you always." I feel this is such an intriguing quote. Eva is at such a young age in her life, and her mother is already on her deathbed. For a young girl like Eva, it's hard to imagine she would be able to understand what the concept of death is. Even later, on pg. 44, it says "I did not cry, because I still did not realize the magnitude of my loss." I really admire the way in which Eva's mother talks to Eva about her death in this way. Now, in Eva's heart, she may feel more comfortable, and just believe that as long as she remembers her mother, her mother will always continue to live on in her life.

The other interesting event that happened in Chapter 3 that I thought was interesting to note was Professor Jones's death. "He left instructions in his will for his remains to be sent to the distant city of his birth. He did not want the local cemetery to be his final resting place, to lie covered with foreign dust beneath a merciless sun, and in promiscuous proximity with who knows what kind of people, as he used to say." (pg. 49-50). I feel how Professor Jones specifically has instructions in his will of where he wants the remains of body to be laid down is so important. This really illustrates how important the role of the body is.

In Chapter 4, what appalled me was the description of Lukas Carle's body. Just the way it's described makes it so visual. "They were led to a bare, cold room with tiled walls...in the center, on a stretcher beneath a bright white light, lay the body." (pg. 81) When I read that, it gave me the chills, even though it's just a few sentences. It really does set up an image in your head, and it's almost as if you're there with the character, viewing exactly how it is from their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment