Sunday, February 23, 2014

Eva Luna Chapters 3+4

There were a few quotes that caught my eye as I progressed through chapters 3 and 4 of Eva Luna.  The first of these was on page 48, and said by Eva.

"The martyrdom of St. Lucia was my favorite.  I wanted to hear it over and over in minute detail; why Lucia rejected the emperor who loved her; how they tore out her eyes; whether it was true that her eyeballs had shot a beam of light that blinded the emperor, and that she grew two splendid new blue eyes much more beautiful than the eyes she had lost."

This quote again shows an emphasis of the eyes, and the idea of either gaining or losing sight.  This ties into Riders of the Purple Sage as well, as Jane was often described as blind by those around her.  And when Jane reaches her supreme moment, Venters describes the scene by seeing the change in her eyes.

This quote provides insight into the character of Eva Luna.  I am curious if her storytelling will be her mechanism to blind her enemies, possibly to save herself in multiple instances.  And I found it interesting to see another author emphasize the characters eyes in such a way.

She further describes herself later within chapter 3 by stating, "I did not change much during those years; I remained rather small and thin, but with defiant eyes that unnettled the patrona."  Again she emphasizes her eyes and shows I high degree of expression.  I wonder if the eyes will be another window into the characters much as they were utilized during Riders of the Purple Sage.

Following Eva's altercation with her patrona, running away from that place of employment and adventure through the city, she provides a description of the city that was rather graphic.  "In those days the city was not the hopeless disaster that it is now, but it was already growing-shapelessly, like a malignant tumor, assailed by lunatic architecture in an unholy mixture of styles."  I am extremely curious to see whether or not there will be information about the seemingly downfall and destruction of this city, and how it connects to the characters in the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment