Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Metamorphosis Part 1

When the discussion group asked there first question about what kind of bug we thought that Gregor had become, the whole time we were talking about that question I had a picture in my head but I did not know how to describe it or what kind a bug it was, so I thought it would be best to put the picture on here.

This is what I pictured Gregor as, except for maybe without the long nose. This is Dim from Disney/Pixar's A Bug's Life, he is a rhinoceros beetle. I am not sure if this is what that type of bug looks like in real life, but this is what I imagined when I was reading.

Kafka wrote, "He lay on his armor-like back, and lifted his head a little he could see his brown belly, slightly domed and divided by arches into stiff sections....His many legs pitifully thin compared with the size of the rest of him." In addition to this description it talks about how he rolls on his back, how he had trouble lying on one side, and how he could not see his lower legs. With this description it made me think of this character from the movie because of the armor-like, curved shell-like back and the much smaller than body, many legs that the bug has. I also imagine that it would be difficult for Dim to see his lower legs if he where lying on his back, much like Gregor, as well as try an walk up right.

I have no idea what kind of bug Gregor is actually, but this is what I pictured when reading.


-Jessica Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment