Thursday, February 20, 2014

Eva Luna

There was one section that I thought related nicely to when we were talking about the body in Eva Luna. She was talking about how her mother always took care of her and she said "I have no marks on my skin, only a few cigarette burns..." pg 22. I just thought that is was strange how nonchalant she was about it because that makes me think that maybe she was abused and I'd like to learn more about how she got those.

Also, I feel like we are seeing Consuelo as a strong character because Eva, her daughter, is telling the story and that is how she sees her mother. Maybe Eva knows the pain her mother has endured and maybe (because of the burns) she has experienced it too and she thinks that her mother is very brave and strong for getting through that. That also might be a reason why she acts as if it isn't that big of a deal; Eva wants to be brave like her mother.

That could also relate to the female character in chapter two. Maybe Eva doesn't think that their mother protected them enough from the abuse and that is why, even though both women seem like submissive characters, Consuelo is stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment