Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cory Jackson- Introduction



Hello everyone!  My name is Cory Jackson, and I am currently within my final semester here at Fredonia and anxiously moving forward to medical school in the fall.

When I introduce myself to others, most immediately note my height and weight as I am 6’3 and roughly 150 pounds.  This is often the root of merciless teasing from those that I care about including my father and my girlfriend (who is all of 5’2!).  Whether it is, “Hey go and hide behind that stop sign” in hide and go seek, or “you seriously cannot dunk a basketball?  Can’t you reach your hand up and touch the rim?” my height is a constant source of enjoyment for others.  This characteristic has led to strong relationships between those I care about, as now that they have opened the floodgates, I am able to tease them as well, always resulting to a fun time together.  Although I have a bunch of fun with this attribute, it also leads to discomfort.  I am unable to sit up straight in the car I currently drive because I would be in constant contact with the roof of the car.  

As I am determined to proceed through medical school, I consider my hands to be exceptionally important (I plan to pursue a life in surgery).  But this identification with my hands began in middle school when I first began to play the guitar.  This is also the time when I began to grow my hair, which was extremely curly, and reached down to my chest.  I played the guitar for two years before joining a band and playing on stage.  I always viewed my playing as a harmonious relationship between my two hands, as both were responsible for very different aspects of playing the instrument but when combined could produce something beautiful and strongly emotional.  This dedication that I had to playing onstage helped me progress through a time in my life where I was quite shy and anxious in new situations as being on stage did not permit these elements of personality!  I believe this experience led to my desire to become a surgeon.  I see a direct relationship between using my hands to create music and then using them to help people proceed through their lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment