Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Story

Hello everyone! My name is Dino Salkic and I'm currently in my last semester as a Biochemistry major. Over the years I've changed majors several times and contemplated different career paths. I've always been enthralled with science and technology, and to be a part of the fast paced world we live in today just adds to that excitement. There has always been a part of me that has been especially amazed with medicine. I find the meticulous nature of the job and the continued dedication that a career in medicine requires to be both challenging and welcoming to me as an individual. I therefore plan on attending medical school after graduation.

Even though medicine is my passion now, soccer has always been an incredible and constant part of my life. I see my feet and legs in a different light than most people because they have allowed me the opportunity to do something that I have loved my entire life. My ability to play has given me something to bond over with my dad and provided me my own little oasis and getaway. School, as everybody knows, can be beyond stressful at times and everyone needs some way to forget about things for a while. Running and working out is the way I can escape if I feel the need to. I've always done both of these to improve in soccer, and now that my playing career is over, I still enjoy a good run and work out here and there to focus my mind on something else. It's important to have some sort of stress relief.

My legs, most of all, are an integral part of my body that I feel have shaped me as a person. It takes dedication to play soccer throughout your life and into college. You constantly have to improve to beat out the next guy, and I've taken this dedication into my studies and pursuit of a medical career. To be successful you have to have confidence, and I've realized that your body language has a lot to do with how people view you. As a doctor you want to convey your confidence to your patients through a firm handshake or body posture, for example. I now take this into mind on a daily basis and try to convey my confidence to people, which I can do to a significant extent using my body language alone. If I plan on pursuing a career as a surgeon, for example, my hands will have obvious significance to me. Any career in medicine, though, will require meticulous work with my hands. The way I am perceived by others, the way I get away when I need to, and the career I choose one day are all driven by my body and its components. It has shaped who I am and will continue to do so in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment