Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Kerry Brooks - Imagination

There is a part of the body which is not corporeal, a part which cannot be seen. Oddly enough, I feel that this abstract entity is what has shaped my identity the most. The part of the body which I am referring to is the personality. It may seem strange to call my personality a part of my body, but it has been shaped since I was an infant by the people around me. I didn't chose the people who raised me (or the way they would effect me) any more than I chose my height or my biological gender. My parents and four siblings shaped me into the person I am; they shaped that part of my mind, that part of my body.

This part of my body, the personality, has made me into the person I am more than anything else. Not only does my personality shape my identity, but the two interact with each other. I emphasize certain parts of my personality while trying to conceal others in order to create an identity which I can be proud of. One piece of my personality which I have let shape my identity the most is my imagination. Most kids play imaginary games, and I was no exception. In fact, I never abandoned my imagination, even as I got older. I still write fiction and engage in activities such as Dungeons and Dragons (yes - I'm a big nerd!) in order to keep my imagination alive. As an aspiring writer and avid reader, I consider my imagination one of the most important, if not the most important, part of my identity. The identity I have today wouldn't have been possible without my personality, the part of my body which has shaped me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment